frontpage hit counter darsnik: C P Brown: CPB on Himself

Friday, March 03, 2006

C P Brown: CPB on Himself

25. C P BROWN ON HIMSELF

There are three versions of CPB’s autobiography, dated 1854, 1866, and 1872. Bangorey’s book ‘Literary Autobiography of CP Brown’ brings out the differences between the 1854 and 1866 versions. Before going through the encomiums heaped on CPB by the biographers, I feel it better that the readers know what CPB himself had to say about himself. He is highly critical of all his colleagues and that is why the board in Madras in 1854 did not print the 1854 version having themselves asked him to write. All that is written below is from CPB’s own utterances as the biographers themselves wrote.

Quote.
"As a child I learnt a little Persian, Hebrew, and Syriac.
In England I had only six months schooling, in which I learnt nothing. I was a reluctant student and made a poor progress giving my leisure hours to Hunting, shooting, and dancing.
At Hailey bury College ……I learnt little.
In the year 1820 the College Examiners declared that I had learnt nothing and must quit because we were not allowed to remain for more than three years.

My earliest publications were recommended for the patronage. But Sir Thomas Munroe was dead, and I was refused any reward. No remuneration was granted me for any work, but were bestowed on others who never did anything extraordinary.

I procured and interleaved a copy of Campbell’s Telugu English Dictionary.
Mr. Morris had no skill in Telugu; he merely lent his name to a volume, which Like Campbell’s Dictionary was entirely the work of native assistants.

Meanwhile unhappily I committed several illegal acts. I became more and more extravagant.
Year 1828 A.D. J.C. Morris was engaged in printing the English Teloogoo Dictionary.

When I returned from England in 1838 Campbell got me placed as a member of the College Board in SEP.I let him know that I had prepared a new Telugu grammar. He looked upon it as a puny effort. Morris bluntly replied that he never would take a step in approving it but he was prevented from condemning my book solely by reason, that I was now a member of the College Board.

Being now in comfortable circumstances I often had ladies parties, thought lavish. I removed into a large house, I soon adorned it with a noble gallery of marble statues and seventy oil paintings, chiefly English, Dutch, and Italian landscapes I had two carriages six horses my table was more splendid than that of the Governor.

I have been considered somewhat insane, and such has been my own impression.
During the last six years usual letter, inviting me to resign service .On 1 May 54 I resigned and June 55 left for England.My books, about 5000 volumes of Latin, English, and French are a drag in Madras. The learned ones went for less than a shilling a volume. A Telugu translation of the Bible was completed by persons I employed and paid.

As an author I began by printing two books, which were considered too difficult I therefore printed some explanatory volumes, which they condemned as vulgar, then I published some popular poems, which were derided as idolatrous, then I published Christian tracts, which they said is forbidden to Government servants.

In 1816 Mamidi Venkayya completed his Andhra Depika, a lexicon of the poetical dialect, government rewarded him with 3500Rs. printed by Campbell in 1821 in his own name. Campbell was rewarded 14000Rs for his work besides all expenses. Morris also received 1750 for his juvenile production.

In 1825Adaki Subba Rao began to write an English Telugu dictionary, for which Morris got 15000Rs but completed only in 1836.

Campbell and Morris had but a slender acquaintance with Telugu.
Carey of Serampore has written a TELINGA grammar.

In 1816 A D Campbell published his Telugu grammar.Since my grammar was printed in 1840…I Revised it reinstating rules which I condemned!

AT THE CLOSE OF MY LIFE I CANNOT NAME TWO ENGLISHMAN WHO CAN EXPLAIN AN ORDINARY NEWSPAPER OR LETTER WRITTEN IN TELUGU.

As I draw close to 60th year I kept acquaintance with very few Indian folk, and keep my distance from the Oriental club and Asiatic society. Unquote.

Look at CPB’s words about hunting, shooting, and dancing coupled with the 60,000 rupees debts, which he paid 2000 rupees per month etc. It is a clear indication of his drinking and debauchery.

The horror is one biographer even goes to the extent of saying that being young he indulged himself. CPB wants to glorify himself saying he had “Often had ladies parties and was thought lavish and careless of money and his parties were like that of a governor.” In spite of all this womanising, dancing and wine the biographers have the audacity to hood wink and bluff the Andhras that he spent all his Life and earnings on service for the dying Telugu literature.

Of all the lies by the biographers, the one by Bangorey that CPB spent all his Life in being acquainted with Telugu talks the cake since CPB himself says, “I have acquaintance with few Indian folk, and keep my distance from the oriental club and the Asiatic Society”!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home