frontpage hit counter darsnik: C P Brown: Introduction

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

C P Brown: Introduction

2. Introduction

C P Brown served in the Madras civil service of the EIC during 1821 –1854. Telugu writers started building up his image, a 100 years after his death in 1884 in England. The Telugu speaking peoples are being exhorted to divinise him.

Why is it done? Who are behind these books on the British officer whose autobiography of 20 pages was modified thrice by him in an 18-year period? He had not written one original poem or essay in Telugu or on Telugu, a language, which he professed to have saved from extinction.
It hurts the Andhra pride to see this misplaced glorification; using epithets like ‘a Father of modern Telugu literature'. I do not expect many to appreciate, much less agree with my assessment fully. But I do hope that some of the unthinking minds, undeserved respect to the white enslavers will reduce.

Early in my career (1952-53), before I entered Collegiate Teaching Service, I did a stint of service at GOML, Madras –5 describing Col. Mackenzie’s collection of Mss. When I had the opportunity of seeing many, if not all ‘the CPB’s collection of Mss. With his occasional remark / comment in English. But I have not seen even a single page of his Telugu writing. I have never considered CPB as any kind of a scholar in Telugu.

I believe, with the honourable exceptions of Orientalists, the results of the exertions of these civil servants have been motivated by their career / administrative exigencies or their desire to propagate Christianity. The benefits of their work have been marginal and secondary.
Your book has pricked the bubble. Whatever may be the averments of CPB-enthusiasts I believe it was the poor pundits who did almost all the work.

After the publication of the first edition, some people questioned me as to the utility of writing on a person who is so little known, knowing that my work will have little impact on the society at large. I therefore give the following three reasons: -

1. Untruth and falsehood on such a vital subject as Telugu language and literature must be exposed for what it is worth. Lies should NOT be allowed to pollute our literary world.

2. A small candle is sufficient to dispel darkness. A little “Katake Renu” will precipitate all dirt in water and make it crystal clear. Even one book I am sure will awaken the Andhras and helps them shed the undue adulation to the Brown’s, the Arthurs and Mackenzie’s.

3. A lot of lines of Thought and subjects for investigation are projected by me for thou to research in Extensive use of Vyavaharika in vogue; integral harmonious always society up to 18th century; spread of Telugu all over SOUTH etc.

4. There are a large number of Brown-Like people whose books / works need exposition to clear get rid of the psychological bondage we are suffering from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home